Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Donna Reed lives!

When I "retired" just over a year ago, everyone kept asking me what I was going to do. It was assumed I would take a position with a different company and continue working outside the home for years to come.

In my professional life, I had work-a-holic tendencies. I was the one who always learned the new procedures, studied the new products closely and made cheat sheets to pass around for the others. I was the go-to gal in our office even though I had less time on the job than others I worked with. My answer to the "whatcha gonna do?" question was always "I'm gonna be Donna Reed!" I've wanted to be a homemaker for a long time -- painting walls, gardening, re-upholstering, sewing, crafting, shopping. Ahhhh -- the good life!

Well, tomorrow is my BFF's birthday. Her name is Debby, she's a full-time professional with my old employer (another go-to-gal!), the mother of 3 great kids and wife to a wonderful manly man. She doesn't have the opportunity to be a Donna Reed right now, so I try to share some of my "wealth" with her.

For her B-day, I've made her a couple of things. The first gift is a sassy decoupage initial she admired at Southern Hospitality http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2008/08/decoupage-101.html

I think it turned out pretty good!


The second I made is an apron similar to the one I posted about a few days ago - she loved the apron and emailed me about it.

I couldn't replicate the halter top. My first attempt looked like a bustier! When you've got teenaged sons like Debby, I think a bustier is probably not the way to go. The second attempt was also a little too suggestive, so I went with a plain-ish top.

I chose cheerful fabrics and made it reversible and the waist ties are nice and long so she can wrap them around and tie in front.












And I put a small pleated ruffle on the bib that echoes the skirt trim.


All in all, I'm pleased and I think she'll like my Donna Reed attempt.
Whatcha think?

1 comment:

TexNan said...

It's gorgeous! The pictures say it all; I couldn't grasp it from your description this morning, but dang, it's purty! Good on you.