Monday, August 15, 2011

August Update

Sorry it's been so long. As usual, I've got more projects going than I can shake a stick at. Here are a few (in no particular order).

Nursery sheets for the church.

They asked me to make sheets for the nursery "cots", so I used some flannel I've had in my stash for several years. I'm not absolutely sure what project I had in mind when I bought this fabric, but I was glad I had it available for this project. I think they're cheerful.

Chocolate Bliss Quilt for the church.

Every year we have a Chocolate Festival at the church with proceeds going to missions. Since several of the ladies were interested in creating a sewing group, I thought this would be a fun project with which to start. I got the pattern here. So far the project is going well. The Festival is in October, but I'd like to have the quilt finished by the end of August. .... Reality check. It's mid August already! Oh well, with many hands working on the project, perhaps we won't be far off the mark.

Miniature paper "porcelain" pitchers.

I found the pattern and directions here for the miniature paper pitchers/watercans I make. Until recently, I was painting the pitcher with acrylics and doing a whitewash. I was pretty pleased with the result.

But I was looking at some of the Incredible vases and pitchers at Une Petite Folie ...

and it made me wonder if I could make my simple paper pitcher look more like porcelain. I used vintage plates as a starting point for my "porcelain" pitchers.

I've been experimenting (see picture below) ... the rooster needs to be smaller ... I want to print on both sides so that the interior has the same base color as the exterior (this involves some nit-picky concentration to get it right) ... I want to find the right finish for the project so that it has a porcelain sheen (the four on the left have clear nailpolish and the one on the right is just untouched paper). But, I think I'm on the right path.

And those are just some of the things I've been busy with.