Friday, July 22, 2011

New Improved Roses

Just a quick blurb. The roses in the previous post were made from tissue paper using something I'll call method one. Basically a long, skinny strip of tissue with one deeply scalloped edge that is wound around and glued to the wire base. The petals are shaped using tweezers and then I used a felt tip pen applied very carefully to the edges to give additonal definition.

The roses in this post were made with method two. I used a very small flower punch on lightweight paper to make the petals (they have to be cut apart which is a bit of a pain in the patoot.) Then using tweezers, I glue each individual petal to the base wire, overlapping as I go. Before it's completely dry, I shape the petals. After it's completely dry, I use watery acrylics to tint the petals. In this case, I used very pale pink, pale pink and pale yellow to get the realistic colors.

The vase is a metal bead I painted pale blue and then whitewashed.

I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'm still trying to decide if I want to carry this as a product in my shop. Although I enjoy making them, I'm not sure how I'd feel about putting this into production for sale. The jury is still out.

In the meantime, I think I'll work on yellow roses and a white vase next.

No comments: