Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Price of Makover

We've been working on our master bathroom makeover for quite awhile (read years here). It just seems to go on and on and ON AND ....
But I thought I'd give you a teensy, teensy glimpse at the progress. This is how the master bath looked when we bought our house. Pretty uuuuugly, but it had possibilities.



This is the direction we're moving (courtesy of some unknown person with wonderful taste on Rate My Space)


The cost of getting there??
$150 for Jacuzzi whirlpool (thru a classified ad --a $3000.00 2-person Jacuzzi that was in perfect condition .... SCORE!)
$75 for 3 new light fixtures (on closeout at Lowe's)
$35 for paint (on sale)
$100+ for wood and molding
And ...... it looks like maybe $218 for masking tape??


And just forget about the cost of sore knees (ever painted baseboards BEHIND the porcelain bus?) and aching muscles. Maybe I need to start yoga again because I really needed the flexibility today. I ended up scooting around the bathroom on my patootie (felt like a doodlebug) to get the baseboards painted in a bright white. Poor DH kept making Michelangelo remarks because he was painting the crown molding. It's not the Sistine chapel, but oh my poor baby!
And we're not finished yet ... DH found some great travertine on closeout at the Home Depot last weekend, so we've got a much needed counter replacement in our future ... and perhaps new sinks, etc ... and we're thinking about tile around the top of the shower to match the tile around the Jacuzzi .... BUT that's part of Phase III. I'm just glad we're ALMOST finished with Phase II of the everlasting quest for the perfect master bath. I'll post pictures as soon as Phase II is complete.

3 comments:

number6 said...

LOVE, LOVE PHASE II -
TOO CUTE ABOUT THE MASKING TAPE - WHAT A FUN IDEA TO INCLUDE IT IN THE PROCESS. I DID NOTICE THERE SEEMED TO BE A GRANITE COUNTER TOP IN PHASE II THAT WAS NOT APPARENT IN "MOVE IN" PIX.

I PRESCRIBE A BOTTLE OF WHITE....NO, I BELIEVE RED WINE WILL LOOSEN UP THOSE ACHING BONES MUCH BETTER.

CAN'T WAIT FOR PHASE III.

LITTLESASSY said...

LOVE number6 and her suggestions for recuperation!

RE: granite countertop, I'm not sure if you mean the marble for the kitchen or the travertine (which has a more rustic appearance) for the bathroom. The marble comes in phase I of the kitchen makeover. Also for that makover, we've already purchased:
(1) new sink and faucet
(2) pot rack style light fixture
(3) 2 spotlight type ceiling fixtures
(4) under the cabinet task lighting
(5) over the cabinet lighting
(6) new 5 burner flat-top range
(7) granite for counters
(8) (and recently) pergo "tile" flooring

We just have touch-up to finish the bathroom, painting to finish the living room and then we'll start the kitchen. Because we have a corner cabinet with appliance garage, we'll have to actually remove some cabinets from the wall in order to re-do the counter.

Whew! Wn we're finished with all that, WE'RE GONNA REST on our "laurels" for awhile!

TexNan said...

Yep, #6, I think you were looking at the inspiration pic. But Daisy you only posted one of the bathroom in process, and that focused mostly on masking tape. (I know, you got the jacuzzi in, but I want to see tile!)

Can't wait to see the completed stuff. I'm with Ginge--red wine for all!